Francesco Scarlatti (Monks)



Georges Rouault, Out of the Depths, Miserere mei engraving, plate 47, 1922-27


Click to read about the Miserere.


Click to read about Francesco Scarlatti.

Performed by: Armonico Consort, Concerto Gallese, the English Cornett and Sackbutt Ensemble, director Christopher Monks, Emma Kirkby soprano solo'


To listen to while following the text, right-click here, then left-click on "Open in New Window."

Psalm 50

3 Miserere mei, Deus, * secundum magnam misericordiam tuam; et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum: * dele iniquitatem meam. 

Have mercy on me, O God, * according to Thy great mercy; according to the multitude of Thy tender mercies: * blot out my iniquity.
  
4 Amplius lava me ab iniquitate mea * et a peccato meo munda me. 

Wash me from my iniquity; * and cleanse me of my sin.

5 Quoniam iniquitatem meam ego cognosco, * et peccatum meum contra me est semper. 

For I acknowledge my iniquity, * and my sin is always before me. 

6 Tibi, soli peccavi et malum coram te feci; * ut iustificeris in sermonibus tuis, et vincas cum iudicaris. 

Against Thee alone have I sinned and done evil in Thy sight; * that Thou mayest be justified in Thy sentence and mayest overcome when judged.

7 Ecce enim in iniquitatibus conceptus sum, * et in peccatis concepit me mater mea. 

For behold, I was conceived in sin, * and in sin my mother conceived me; 

8 Ecce enim veritatem dilexisti * incerta et occulta sapientiae tuae manifestasti mihi. 

For behold, Thou hast loved truth, * and the uncertain and hidden things of Thy wisdom Thou hast shown me. 

9 Asperges me hyssopo, et mundabor; * lavabis me, et super nivem dealbabor. 

Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed, * Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow.

10 Auditui meo dabis gaudium et laetitiam, * et exultabunt ossa humiliata. 

Thou shalt make me hear of joy and gladness, * and the bones Thou hath crushed shall rejoice.

11 Averte faciem tuam a peccatis meis, * et omnes iniquitates meas dele. 

Turn away Thy face from my sins, * and blot out all my iniquities. 

12 Cor mundum crea in me, Deus, * et spiritum rectum innova in visceribus meis. 

Create in me a clean heart, O God, * and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

13 Ne proiicias me a facie tua * et spiritum sanctum tuum ne auferas a me. 

Cast me not from Thy presence, * and take not Thy holy spirit from me.

14 Redde mihi laetitiam salutaris tui * et spiritu principali confirma me. 

Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, * and strengthen me with Thy spirit. 

15 Docebo iniquos vias tuas, * et impii ad te convertentur. 

I will teach the unjust Thy ways, * and the wicked shall be converted to Thee.

16 Libera me de sanguinibus, Deus, Deus salutis meae, * et exultabit lingua mea iustitiam tuam. 

Deliver me from blood guilt, O God, the God of my 
salvation*, and my tongue shall extol Thy justice.

17 Domine, labia mea aperies, * et os meum annuntiabit laudem tuam. 

Thou shalt open my lips, O Lord, * and my mouth shall declare Thy praise. 

18 Quoniam si voluisses sacrificium, dedissem utique, * holocaustis non delectaberis. 

For if Thou didst desire sacrifice, I would have indeed given it, * with a burnt offering Thou art not pleased.

19 Sacrificium Deo spiritus contribulatus, * cor contritum et humiliatum, Deus, non despicies. 

A sacrifice to God is an afflicted spirit, * a contrite and humbled heart, O God, Thou shalt not despise. 

20 Benigne fac, Domine, in bona voluntate tua Sion, * ut aedificentur muri Ierusalem. 

Deal favorably, O Lord, in Thy good will with Sion * that the walls of Jerusalem may be built up.

21 Tunc acceptabis sacrificium iustitiae, oblationes et holocausta; * tunc imponent super altare tuum vitulos. 

Then shalt Thou accept the sacrifice of justice, oblations and whole burnt offerings, * then shall they lay calves upon Thy altar.